Friday, May 4, 2012

Sugar And Spice And Every Thing TWICE As Nice

On my dad's side of the family, I am one of eight grandchildren - six girls, two boys. The oldest six are almost like stair steps in ages. There are only five years that separate the six of us, with Katie lagging behind five years after her sister and my brother (much to her dismay throughout the better part of her first 21 years of life). When I was finishing up my first year of college, our youngest cousin, Michael, completed the cousin roster. My brother, surrounded by girls at nearly every family function through his teenage years, was subjected to a lot of (mostly deserved) torture. "Just wait until all these girls start bringing boys to Gramma's house. Then you won't feel so left out," my parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents used to promise him.

It sort of funny to think that my grandparents, who raised four sons, were grandparents to so many girls. As a family, I think the older generations always assumed two things: between all those girls surely ONE of us would marry into money and when we started having families of our own the pendulum would swing the other way and our family would once again be swimming in a sea of boys.

The count on those theories? Zero for two.

On Wednesday, my cousin and her husband welcome two beautiful baby girls into the world. Miss Lila Jane and Claire Marie arrived earlier than expected but are absolutely perfect in every way imaginable. They became great-granchildren numbers ten and eleven. At current count, my grandparents are the proud great-grandparents of two great-grandsons and nine great-granddaughters with another one waiting in the wings due to arrive later this summer.

So much for that theory that boys would rule with my generation. I guess we can't find guys with deep pockets but we can certainly pick a man who knows how to make beautiful baby girls.

Jenny and Jake, congratulations on the birth of Lila and Claire. I'm checking Facebook every day for updated pictures of their sweet little faces, and I can't wait to meet them in person. I'll try to contain myself, although I can't promise anything. Being in the presence of two newborn babies makes me just a little crazier than usual.

2 comments:

AuntieM said...

you're words are just so true!! God just loves giving us beautiful girls! we're getting very good at it! Kate and Matt have projected to bring on the boys (he has 2 brothers)not yet though.....we shall see!
can't wait to meet the 2 new little girl members! hope she can bring them to the shower!

Katie said...

Congrats! Can't wait to see them - so many wonderful women in our family :)

While I hope to bring more girls, I just realized... Boston & I will most likely make Lucky #13 for G&G Pokarney. Not surprised I'll likely be the grandchild for that one... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails