Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Like Sands Through The Hourglass

. . . so are the days of my summer break.

Tomorrow morning at 8 am the school bell rings for me once again. It's back to work I go with Shortcake following me two days later. Punkin's first official day of school doesn't start until next Monday, but with a kindergarten orientation scheduled for 9:30 am Friday it sort of feels like we're all getting into the swing of Back to School. I'm already engaging in my annual back-to-school-panic about how, exactly, I'm going to manage everyone's schedule while also keeping people fed, bathed, nurtured, rested, and generally sane. With two girls in school and after school activities I anticipate this yearly ritual might occur with more frequency than previous years. WHEEE!

I feel like I'm in a state of denial that the summer is behind us already. June passed by in the blink of an eye. July's mind melting heat created a hallucinogenic mirage like memory of that month's activities. August was a mad dash of last minute fun and frantic school prep. I know how blessed I am to have this opportunity to spend two and a half months at home with my girls, and I tried to capitalize on every opportunity that presented itself this year. There were no exotic vacations; we actually didn't travel more than a hour away, and most of our daily adventures took place within 30 miles of our house. We spent a lot of time by the water and our tans definitely reflect that. There was plenty of bonding with family and friends, and time spent vegging at home when we needed a break. No matter what we did each day, though, I went to bed each night grateful for that day's adventures.

Now, it's time for a new set of adventures to begin. Here's to hoping that this summer's lazy days have left me recharged, energized, and ready to tackle the 2011-2012 school year.

3 comments:

Tru Stories said...

Sad Face.

The Page Turner said...

Blink of an eye and this summer was gone!

Tina said...

Move to Minnesota. We don't start until after Labor Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails