Tuesday, January 4, 2011

115 Days And Counting

Tonight I began what I am referring to as my pre-training training. The Illinois Half-Marathon is now less than four months away and on my mind at least three times a day. What seemed like what could be an attainable goal at the end of the summer now presents as a very daunting task. I blame the Illinois winters with the early sunsets, ice and snow covered roads, and bitter temperatures. Also, lack of motivation and excessive baked goods intake may also play a part. I have set my official training date as February 1st, and although that's when I'm going to get really serious I figured building up to that day might not be a terrible idea. Slow and steady is how the saying goes, right?


And yes, if you must know, that is gum on the book rack of the treadmill. Fresh gum while running is excellent; stale gum not so much. Also, point goes to treadmill running for ease of discarding layers mid-workout. Finally, if anyone of power at Nike should see this picture, email me if you're interested in sponsoring me in my endeavors. Clearly I'm already promoting the heck out of your product.

(Sidenote: I came across the Warrior Dash website and was pumped to see it's returning to the area again this summer. On June 18th and 19th at Dollinger Farms in Channahon you can participate in a "mud-crawling, fire-leaping extreme run from Hell" [their description, not mine] and receive a cool t-shirt, finisher's medal, and warrior helmet to boot! It's a 3.5ish mile run with several obstacles along the way, and there is no way you will finish without being covered in mud. Sounds fun, doesn't it? I'm signing up and filling out registration for The General as well whether he grants me permission or not. Nothing says "Happy Father's Day" like dragging your unwilling husband through an extreme race course in the heat of the summer against his will. Anyone else interested? Check out the Warrior Dash site for all the deets and leave me a comment if you're thinking that sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.)

7 comments:

Katie said...

Go go go!!!

So excited you're running the Illinois Half. I'm in the same place as you right now - not actually training yet, but trying to run 2-3 times a week. They say making sure you can comfortably run 3 miles (or 30 minutes) when you start the training is a good spot to aim for.

It's not crazy, I promise... You used to run ALL THE TIME. I have been chubby my whole life. If I can run a half-marathon, you certainly can, too! Plus, the runner's high afterward lasts for like a week!

And I'm seeing how Boston feels about the Warrior Dash......

Tru Stories said...

This whole thing sounds super ignorant to me. But more power to ya. I really feel like anything over 6 miles was meant to be driven with a car.
And sadly, I think you have lost Coach. (and you never had me). Coach just isn't feeling the distance. Now... I can pretty much promise he would do the Warrior Dash. Because if anything, he wants to train for that Dash in Chicago. His thought is, he would rather be 'competing' against something fun and different... over just running.
Sooo... Happy Father's Day to Coach, as well. (maybe. but probably)
BUT more power to ya, Mrs! I am proud that you have set a goal and are working towards it. And I can not wait for all the blog posts as a result!

flag girl said...

I wanna be a WARRIOR!!!!

Big Boca Bob said...

Thanks for the reminder, Mrs. I need to continue to read the blog because your constant updates will bring me back to reality that I need to actually start training for this thing. I keep thinking if I close my eyes and wish hard enough that I will "poof" myself into race shape. I guess I'll stick to the treadmill, but if you come up with an easier way, let me know!. Thanks for the motivation!!

Doc said...

The warrior race sound like fun! I'll talk to Clark. Official training in B-town starts Feb 1st as well. Happy pre-training!!

The MC said...

The boys chased me around the park with their Nerf swords yesterday, and I can barely walk today. I think I'm out.

Anonymous said...

I'm all about the Warrior Dash...well, I thought I was...I'm good with the mud and whatnot, but SHOOOOOOT, I didn't know about the 3.5 miles. That sort of takes all the fun out of it... =)
JD in GC

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails