Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Peace On Earth, Good Will Toward Men

Being out in the snow is not my favorite thing in the world. Roads become dangerous and people suddenly take on a "doom and gloom" mind frame scrambling for bread and milk and acting like lunatics behind the wheel. On the flip side, there is something so romantic and magical about watching a substantial snowfall from inside the comfort of your home. A layer of fresh snow makes everything look so new, covering the ugliness of the Illinois landscape during the winter months. Last night I couldn't stay away from the windows as the snow fell quickly in our little town. Aside from the obnoxious sounds of a truck in desperate need of a new muffler driving haphazardly by our home, there was a peacefulness that accompanied the several inches of snow that fell by the evening hours.

Feeling all warm and fuzzy by the fresh layer of snow, I put the finishing touches on last night's blog post and begin mentally preparing myself for the huge job of shoveling snow from the driveway. Knowing that shoveling snow was probably the last thing The General would want to do upon returning from work at 10:30 pm, I figured I'd at least get a start on the driveway. Fifteen minutes before I had planned to don my snow pants and boots, I heard a sound outside the house and turned to the windows to find the source.

In our driveway was the most beautiful snow removal machine I have ever seen in my entire life. An anonymous kind citizen of our town came into our driveway and removed all of the snow within ten minutes, a job that would have easily taken me more than an hour. I'm going to put this experience in the "pro" column for small town living. The kindness of strangers in a season of giving is a beautiful gift.

With today's warm up in temperatures, the girls and I took some time to enjoy the new snow. Both of my girls love the snow. Shortcake has proclaimed for years that winter is her favorite season solely because of snow. We decided to build our first official complete family snowman, and I think it turned out rather cute. Whether or not that scarf and hat stick around more than 24 hours is left to be seen.


More playing in the backyard, sliding down snow piles, and snow angel making led to squeals of delight and big smiles of happiness from both Shortcake and Punkin. Again, in this season that finds so many stressed out about finding the perfect gift and breaking backs to make sure every wish is fulfilled, the girls reminded me tonight that it is the simple moments in life that bring pure joy to those who are open to experience it.

12 comments:

Tina said...

You know, the girls would love the snow here in Minnesota...and then you could buy a snowblower!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Gramma Poke

Anonymous said...

A Holiday Thought...

Aren't humans amazing? They kill wildlife - birds, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice and foxes by the million in order to protect their domestic animals and their feed.

Then they kill domestic animals by the billion and eat them. This in turn kills people by the million, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - health conditions like heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and cancer.

So then humans spend billions of dollars torturing and killing millions more animals to look for cures for these diseases.

Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals.

Meanwhile, few people recognize the absurdity of humans, who kill so easily and violently, and once a year send out cards praying for "Peace on Earth."

~Revised Preface to Old MacDonald's Factory Farm by C. David Coates~

_____________


Anyone can break this cycle of violence! Everyone has the power to choose compassion! Please visit these websites to align your core values with life affirming choices: http://veganvideo.org & http://tryveg.com

The Page Turner said...

Wow Mrs. your blog is getting so big you have crazies making comments.

The MC said...

No kidding, Page Turner!

Tru Stories said...

Two months ago, we killed a deer with our minivan on the highway. Does that count for making me one of those ironic humans?
And I thought Munchkin was the best part of your comments.
I'm jealous. My blog only gets crazy comments in another language from the Middle East. I am huge over there.

Munchkin said...

Mrs. - can I be mean to your, um (if you don't have anything nice to say, don't have anything at all) commenter? or would you like me not to so these people will continue posting?

Munchkin said...

by the way i'm going hunting tonight to kill as many animals as possible

who's in?

The Page Turner said...

Dear Mrs. - Please do not delete Crazy Person's comment. We like it. It makes the comment section fun.
Dear Crazy Person - I do not kill animals. But I do eat meat. I love meat. Tru Stories loves meat so much she got a cow for Christmas. (And they are not keeping it in their yard). Thanks CP (look we have a nickname for our new friend) for making us laugh.

The Mrs. said...

Knock yourself out, Munchkin. I doubt this person will come back but do what you must. Anyone who spams an innocent post about the beauty of mankind (especially one with cute pictures of my children) with their misplaced political views should have a tough enough skin (notice I didn't not use hide because that would just be barbaric of me) to take it.

By the way, does anyone know if Spam is a meat byproduct? Because that would be ironic, Alanis Morrisette style. Don't ya think?

flag girl said...

Wow! I bet CP is tons of fun to hang out with! Good God!

Tru Stories said...

Mrs.
I nearly spit when I read 'hide'.
Good one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails