Thursday, November 18, 2010

I've Got Nothing So I'm Giving You Complete Randomness

I'm sure you're all wondering if I'm still alive. I doubt any of you have anything more exciting going on in your lives than sitting at your computer constantly hitting the refresh button hoping that maybe, just maybe, I've finally updated this once lively and thriving blog. And if you believe that last sentence, it is indeed a sad day because clearly you have already forgotten that I like to use sarcasm freely and frequently.

I'll be honest first and foremost: I'm blogging today mostly to bump down my last post, one which is obviously less than heartwarming and certainly not typically my style. I would just like to say this and then move on. No parent should ever have to bury their child. It is heartbreaking and cruel and just downright wrong. Because of that singular event, however, I will say though that I now have a new appreciation for life and the blessing that is being a mom to two amazing human beings. I've said it before, but life is such a fragile thing and should not be taken for granted. Now, moving on...

Has anyone else noticed that a growing number of people are decorating insanely early for Christmas? I used to stew over the onslaught of Christmas decorations in stores immediately following Halloween, but now it seems as though I'm seeing signs of Christmas everywhere these days: trees placed proudly in the bay windows of a neighbor's home, houses and landscaping adorned and glowing with multi-colored strands of lights, plastic lawn ornaments placed strategically on rooftops, and on and on. We are still a full week out from Thanksgiving and yet I feel like I am hopelessly behind on Christmas preparations and spirit. Is this a growing phenomenon that I am unaware of? And if it is, I'm not sure I'm a fan.

Last week I finally took the girls for LONG overdue portraits. The last time I had their pictures taken at a studio was more than two years ago. The experience was relatively painless, but I'll admit that the pictures taken leave me slightly disturbed. Why is it that you can be conscious of the fact that your children are growing up yet it takes a studio portrait to slap you in the face with just how grown up they actually are? My hand to God, in one picture Shortcake looks like she's 12 years old. At work I have a photo of the two of them together and I can't stop looking at it, wondering when it was that my babies were replaced by young ladies. Seeing them looking so grown up is unsettling.

When asked what she would like Santa to bring her this year for Christmas, Punkin's very honest response was this: "Well, let me watch some of my shows, and whatevuh they show on the commuhshuls that's what I want". Advertisers? My daughter is your target audience, and I congratulate you on your ability to completely brainwash her with your witty jingles.

Is anyone else giddy with excitement over the announcement of Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton? My first thought was that I hope they wed in the summer so I can stay home and watch the fanfare from my living room. I fear that she is going to wear a hideous dress which would leave me highly disappointed.

It is officially 162 days until the Illinois Half-Marathon. I am simultaneously excited and petrified. At last count I think I was able to list eight friends and/or family member who have either officially or unofficially declared their intent to participate in one of the many races offered on the last weekend in April. Is anyone else ready to add their name to the prestigious list? I'm also thinking of booking a hotel room soon for fear that they are going to fill up fast. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Last night we thought The General might be suffering from symptoms of appendicitis. Tonight I've diagnosed him with "intermittent non-fatal stomach pains that are bad enough to warrant calling in sick to work which conveniently allows me to stay home so I can watch the Bears game-itis".

There was a time not all that long ago when I yearned for a washer and dryer of my very own.
"I will never complain of doing laundry if I could just wash and dry clothes from the comfort and convenience of my home," I used to declare during those dark, dark days. Today, I would like to state that although I am very grateful for my on-site laundry facilities, I am retracting all previous statements about never complaining about laundry.

I wish our house had a fireplace.

Tonight the girls and I attended Family Reading Night at our local library. I don't know what it is, but for as long as I can remember I feel an instant peace come over me whenever I walk into a library. Maybe it's the hushed tones of everyone there, or perhaps it's the comfort of being surrounded by tall walls of books. I love going to the library, and I will admit that one of the things I look forward to as the girls get older and more independent is being able to go there and just sit by myself with my thoughts or a good book. It also brings me great joy to see how much my girls enjoy spending time there. A love of books and reading is always something I have hoped to pass along to them.

Yes, my brain really does operate this randomly. It's a little frightening, don't you think?

4 comments:

The Page Turner said...

Punkin's Christmas comment, hilarious. This entire random blog, fantastic.

Tru Stories said...

Munchkin and The Mrs.... both blogging on the same night. This is my Christmas. Where the Bleep have you guys been?!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love the electric fireplace we got for the new room! I have a mantel to decorate for Christmas (not yet for heaven's sake!) and it puts out fantastic heat...and looks nice too!! Um, my dear hubby hung lights outside on the house last weekend b/c it was the only day/time he would be home to do it for like the next 3 weeks. I holler at the kids every time they try to turn them on!
Smiles! JD in GC

Munchkin said...

thanks for the comment on my post Tru Stories.... I'm gonna be sooooooo late tomorrow night

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails