Thursday, September 9, 2010

Gulp!

I just did something that I will spend a great deal of time in the next seven and a half months regretting, a move that serves as further proof that my continued running is creating a dangerous level of hypoxia leading to what can only be described as extremely questionable decision making.

On April 30th in the Year of Our Lord 2011, I will be a participant in the Illinois half-marathon.

13.1 miles.

On foot.

Running.

Along the streets of my Alma Mater (and then some).

Where the only running I ever did while enrolled there was a mad dash of Super Star caliber from a campus bar to my apartment in a tequila induced inebriated state on my 21st birthday.

Someone hold me. And then pass me the tequila. Something tells me I'm gonna need it.

Putting my glass-is-half-full, motivational speaker hat back on, here's where I rally the troops. I learned very quickly last summer that running in a pack (even when the pack is spread out along the course by almost an hour) is a heck of a lot more fun than running alone. I also realize that running 13 miles is not everyone's aspiration. I'm still wondering if it's even mine. Luckily for all of you less insane people out there, this event offers other distances including a 5K (held on Friday evening), 10K, and marathon relay. There's also a full-blown one-step-away-from-the-funny-farm-if-you-even-entertain-the-thought full marathon if you feel like gettin' really crazy.

Step back and picture it: You set out on a leisurely run with 14,000 of your closest friends through the beautiful streets of Champaign-Urbana on a lovely spring morning. Following this jaunt, you retire for a bit of R&R at a local hotel. After sufficient rejuvenation time you spend a night out on the town with friends living it up like the college student you still sometimes fool yourself into thinking that you are. Added bonus: the beverages will help numb any residual aches and pains from the earlier event. Much like the Park to Park 5 mile, the run just serves as a warm-up to a full weekend of merriment.

Come on, people. You know you want to do it, especially all my 5 miler comrades. Munchkin, just think of all the bloggable material you could gain by participating. Imagine how toned your ridiculously long legs will be by next summer's swim suit season, Tru Stories! Can you even fathom how much fun it would be to beat even more people who "practice" running without even exerting your full effort, Coach?! Doc, we need your enthusiasm on the streets of Champbana to keep us motivated. No one will require you to cook us a delicious meal afterward, Clark! You've seen what the University of Wisconsin has to offer, Commissioner and Warhol, so now it's time to give the U of I a chance (hint: slightly less picturesque but also significantly less hilly). I would give a unique shout-out to Team Ditta but we all know they're too busy and important to read the blogs; however, you can bet I'll give them my best pitch when I see them on Saturday at a local 5k.

Other people that should brace themselves to endure my recruitment efforts between now and the end of April:
  1. Swanny (registered last weekend - check)
  2. Jen
  3. ABCT in P-Town
  4. JD in GC
  5. Katie
  6. Boston (already contemplating running the full 26.2 - loco en la cabeza!)
  7. Flag Girl
  8. Papa Poke
  9. Mr. MC
  10. Mrs. MC
  11. Drmmr7
  12. The Bride
  13. Steph
  14. Jersey Shore (a coworker of mine & Jen's)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some very important people, but you should all consider yourselves warned. The General is noticeably absent from this list for a variety of reasons. First, he is near the top of the list in terms of most stubborn people I have ever known and that's saying a lot if you've ever met my mom, my maternal grandfather, or my brother. Unlike me, The General does not cave easily to peer pressure, and he flat out despises the idea of running. Plus, I selfishly want to keep him sidelined so that he can tend to our children and provide motivational quotes along the route on race day. It's a win-win for us both if he just plays the supporting spouse role in this little life adventure. I am also handing out two free passes this year - one to AL who will be running daily marathons of her own caring for her six children (you are my hero!) and the other to Tina who will likely not be in the training mood after delivering Baby the month before.

And if I can't convince you of the fun that awaits you on the streets of the University of Illinois? I fully expect you to at least come and watch, cheering your head off for all of us crazy enough to run another stupid race.

Race on, playas!

13 comments:

flag girl said...

This running thing just won't go away will it?
Proud of YOU already Mrs!
Go for it!!! I will check my calendar........

Anonymous said...

What do you mean....Gramma Poke!

The MC said...

no way

Tru Stories said...

When exactly,
did you decide it was O.K. to start smoking Crack, during the evening?
What is wrong with you? I REALLY hope, you do not think Munchkin or I will participate in a 13Whatever.
The 5Mile nearly killed us.
Seriously.
Sorry, Munchkin...
but really, get a clue Mrs.
Still love you,
even if you drink too much.

Big Boca Bob said...

Go For It, Mrs! I have TONS of training programs for half marathons if you want to borrow one. I'm running the Urbanathlon in Chicago next month so if I'm still alive come mid October, I'll pass on the spirit of the running gods to you.

Katie said...

YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was so excited to read this, I called Boston immediately! We haven't officially signed up yet, but I will get to that ASAP. Boston hasn't decided whether he's running the full.... probably not...

Also, know you are more than welcome to stay with us Friday night if The General and the girls just want to come over Saturday morning. If nothing else, perhaps we can host a post-race backyard BBQ or something....

And to everyone else, I swear, it's not as difficult as you think it is!!! If you can run 3 miles, you can finish a half-marathon!

Tina said...

I am proud to say I was there to watch the Mrs. do that tequila-induced sprint down Sixth St. Man, was it hilarious.

I don't think the General thought it was that funny.

Thanks for the pass - no crazy running for me!

Munchkin said...

i do love a party....

you can call me al said...

Thanks for the pass--I'll take it! :)

Doc said...

Congratulations, Mrs!! You make it sound so fun! I'll think about it.

Coach said...

If you catch me after a couple drinks and you have the form to fill out with you, I may be tempted. Cause if I sign up I can't get myself to back out, its a sickness. It only sounds tempting now cause it is so far away.

Anonymous said...

Just registered! Thanks for the pep talk, Mrs. We don't have to worry about a thing until February 2011. That is when the 12 weeks of training begin.

Watch out, Green Street - here we come (again)!

-ABCT

The Mrs. said...

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone; I'm going to need it in force come next spring. And a big "woot woot!" to those of you who have registered or are at least considering it.

I'm going to reinstate my twitter feed for those of you interested in seeing my up-to-the-minute training preparations. For now though I have one mission and one mission only: print registration form, get Coach drunk, and have him sign on the dotted line. Would Sir like some vodka soaked watermelon balls? (Sorry, Tru Stories.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails