Tuesday, August 17, 2010

We Interrupt This Blog For A Brief Literary Interlude

Dear Page Turner,

Hi! How are you! Are you enjoying the majestic mountains of Colorado? I hope that this post finds you relaxed, rejuvenated, and refreshed after a lovely vacation with family.

I don't want to interrupt your vacation time with my mindless ramblings, but per your suggestion I began reading Eat, Pray, Love a week or so ago. Last night I completed by trek through Italy and before I depart for India I would like to share a few of my thoughts with you regarding your current Page Turner's Society Book of the Month. You know, since members of this exclusive club have banished all new members for the time being, this may be my only outlet for a book club like discussion. I live a sheltered, lonely existence now that summer is behind me and outside of work socialization comes to a screeching halt so I must resort to the avenues available to me.

So, here are my thoughts thus far:
  1. I am enjoying the author's writing style. It's conversational with witty quips tossed in for good measure, and I like that in a book. That being said, I am not loving this memoir as much as I had initially hoped I would. Maybe I set my expectations too high.
  2. As I had feared may happen, I am less caught up in Elizabeth Gilbert's message and journey to find her true self as I am jealous of her grand adventures. Sure, her profession as a writer lends itself to wonderful life experiences for the sake of her craft. But what's this I do on a somewhat regular basis on this here blog? Write, I say! I believe I could spice things up on the Life and Times at One Carbon Hill if someone offered me a four month getaway to an exotic locale with an itinerary consisting of non-stop all-you-can-eat gourmet buffets! I'd even take the husband and children along for added comedic opportunities.
  3. I did quite enjoy the discussion regarding identifying the word that defines you. That was a little nugget that caused me to pause and ponder for awhile. I haven't come up with my word yet, but I'm still thinking about it.
  4. I think the constant running thought of "I wonder what gelato tastes like? Would I like it? I think I need to try it" while reading this section of the book really hindered by ability to absorb her intended message. I am easily sidetracked by the thought, sight, smell, or mention of food.
In true Page Turner Society fashion, if I were to rate Eat, Pray, Love on the first leg of Gilbert's travels, I would give this book a 2. It's entertaining, but not captivating. I'm not feeling inspired yet, only hungry. I am still waiting for the "Life Changing Moment" to descend upon me. I'm hoping she steps it up a notch in India.

From one book lover to another,

The Mrs.

2 comments:

Tru Stories said...

The Life Changing Moment is not happening because you are not allowing it too.
The point is...
Not to get trapped in your boring grown up life. Keep trying new things. Keep looking for the 'You' that you always wanted. Keep improving yourself.
The point is not to settle.
For example...
Challenging yourself to train for the 5Mile. That was your Italy, this summer.
Not just being a boring ol' wife and mother...but a wife and mother who tries new things to make herself, her husband and her kids proud of her!
But yes, it would be pretty sweet if someone paid me to go places and then write about it on my blog.

The Page Turner said...

Well said Tru Stories. I would also like to say that Mrs. if you do not get this book it is a good thing. It implies you have never lost your true self. Good for you. At my age I have lost myself many times. Do not take this book literally. It is about the journey. Whatever your journey might be. How does it make you feel, surrounded by mountains, sitting in a two million dollar home, I had to read your blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails