Friday, August 13, 2010

Thrill Seeker or Dummy? Only Time Will Tell.

Yesterday I had The General stop by Wal-Mart on his way home from work to pick up two new car seats for Punkin, one for each of our vehicles. Up until yesterday afternoon, I had been keeping her in a five-point harness restraint seat. I had been contemplating moving her up to the booster style seat for a couple of months now, and seeing my friend's similarly aged children in that style of seat finally propelled me to the other side. She rode in it for the first time this afternoon and managed to nap in it just fine, a major bonus for everyone involved. The fact that Shortcake can now quickly and efficiently buckle her sister into her seat is just one more bullet point for the "pro" side of the list.

But that is not the point of today's post. Instead, it was the box that one of the car seats came in that provided the backdrop for today's story. I was vacuuming the house just before bedtime, and as I turned off the Dyson I was greeted with the sounds of two very cheerful girls giggling in Punkin's bedroom. Immediately upon hearing me finish, Shortcake ran out into the hallway and begged me to come into the bedroom to see something "awesome".

In the blink of an eye, an clearly giddy and still giggling Punkin crawled headfirst into the box perched precariously close to the edge of the bed. Shortcake, once Punkin confirmed she was secure inside the box, began inching said box slowly toward the edge of the bed. It became quite evident that my oldest child was going to carefully allow her younger sister to fall a short distance off the bed and onto the carpet. In a cardboard box. Where the first moment of impact would be Punkin's head to the floor.

Naturally I put a stop to these shenanigans as soon as I realized what they were trying to accomplish. It was then explained to me that Shortcake had done this dare devil maneuver while I was vacuuming, albeit by accident. Although she purposely climbed into the box on top of the bed, she had no intentions of the box falling off the bed. When I explained to the girls that this stunt could be quite dangerous, Shortcake confirmed that she had, in fact, "sort of hurt [her] head".

Not one to be easily persuaded, however, Punkin immediately began crawling back into the box, smile still on her face, declaring, "It's okay! I don't cay-uh if I get huht!".

And it is moments just like that that make my irrational fears of what her college life will look like a little more real.

1 comment:

tlk said...

It seems to me that there is no difference between little boys and little girls. Except that boys are gross according to my wife.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails