Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Funday

Looking to escape a frustration-filled morning, I took the girls for one last day of swimming in Dwight. I am happy to report that there were no puking incidents, and a day in the sun pulled me out of my sour mood almost completely.

Upon returning home I bathed the girls, gave them a snack, and then hit the road for a long overdue run. It was hot and I didn't log the distance I was hoping for, but that bit of solitary exercise burst my bad mood bubble for good.

In order to keep the Good Mood Train chugging along, I announced to The General that we would be dining out this evening. We drove to the village of Braidwood for a Rt. 66 dining experience at the Polka Dot diner. Bacon cheeseburgers, onion rings, and ice cream is certainly a menu that keeps a smile on my face (and renders the earlier run completely pointless).

As we were nearing the city limits of our tri-village area, I asked The General if we could take a little detour in order to check out an advertised camp ground in the area. Veering off the beaten path naturally led to immediate inquiries from the backseat; the girls were told we were going for a drive and to just sit back, relax, and enjoy. The "campground" is the first I've ever seen with permanent trailers and mailboxes at the end of several site's lanes. We will not be visiting there anytime soon.

As we got on the road that would lead us back home, The General and I decided soon after to drive to the next town over to peruse the car lot inventory, and it was at that point that I had to unleash the "Do I need to tell your dad to stop this car so I can spank your butt?" threat for violation (again, my God) of the keep-your-hands-and-feet-to-yourself rule.

Four car lots toured, several picture messages sent to The MC, twice as many complaints of itchiness/windiness/sleepiness from the backseat.

On this little Sunday adventure, I realized that the Circle of Life rings true once again. Ice cream treats, going for rides of unknown purpose, touring car lots as the sun sets, threatening children within an inch of their lives? We have officially become our parents.

6 comments:

Munchkin said...

way to stop by the Hansen reunion while you were in Dwight... even I went this year

Tru Stories said...

I will NEVER and I repeat NEVER force my children into random drives that will not end....thanks to my father.
No children should have to suffer that.
I prefer to bore my children, at home in front of the TV, thank-you.

Anonymous said...

You learn well. This started with Marsha and Dale and Kim and Greg cruzin the country roads in the big blue car looking for God knows what, but did we have a blast!! and then thefe was the famous drive to Bloomington to Steak and Shake and somehow I believe it was Kim and Marsha spitting the milkshake out of our mouths from too much laughter. Eventually you little ones came along so you endured those trips with us too.

The Mrs. said...

Would you believe me, Munchkin, if I told you I didn't know the Hansen reunion was yesterday until I read your comment? Now, The General knew yet he did not see it necessary to share this detail.

Dr. PHIL said...

Did the General say "Do you want to go for a ride?"

We hate to be the ones to tell you, but you have turned into your parents.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there is nothing better than a good ole ride into the country or where ever. Even now, shortcake and pumkin know when we go to PaPa's and grandma's there will always be a ride somewhere even if it's to the DQ and then the car lot! We have the BEST visit's then! Gramma Poke
Loved the reminder of the "Big Blue days"! We did/do laugh alot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails