Friday, July 2, 2010

We're Really Going To Do This, Aren't We?


I have exactly two goals going into Sunday's race.
  1. Finish.
  2. Try not to die.
This will be the first organized race I have participated in since the state meet in my senior year of high school fourteen years ago yet I am already experiencing the same butterflies in the tummy feelings when I think about Sunday's race. I explained to some fellow racers that I think my training has started to restrict oxygen to my brain for I'm starting to feel strangely excited about running five miles in the Park to Park race on the Fourth of July. The excitement is probably related more to just wanting the event to be over than anything else. Or maybe the fun promised before and after the actual race is what's clouded my judgment. Either way, we're a little more than 24 hours until the gun sounds sending a group of us off to finish a goal we set for ourselves months ago. Some will certainly breeze through these five miles with the greatest of ease (but possibly not be able to get out of bed the next morning) while others may be begging for mercy by the mid-way point. Whatever the case, keep these wise words in your mind and heart come Sunday, friends:

"The real purpose of running isn't to win a race, it's to test the limits of the human heart."
Bill Bowerman

Here's to a strong tail wind, swift feet, and a solid spirit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with this Amanda! You will do just fine. Several years ago, I was in my late thirty's. A neighbor and I ran a 10k and all we wanted to do was finish and not stop or quit. We did it and we were last. The ambulance followed us all the way LOL! But it was a great feeling and a great accomplishment. Kudos to you for doing this.

The Page Turner said...

I will be there (in spirit) cheering all of you on. In body, I will be in bed waiting to receive the text about how all of you did. I'm so proud of all of you for working on your bucket lists.

Tina said...

Good luck and happy running, you crazy kids! Mitch suggested that we text pictures of ourselves with drinks in hand tomorrow morning....I'm wondering why we're drinking at 7:30! (But I'm on board!)

Anonymous said...

I know your determination your drive your desire....YOU WILL DO FINE....YOU WILL COMPLETE THE RACE..NO DOUBT. I am still one of your biggest cheerleaders....now, we have 3 more to cheer you on. I still think I may be the loudest! Good Luck tomorrow. Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails