Sunday, March 21, 2010

Coming Back After A Week Long Absence To Pose A Question On A Heated Topic

I'm not easily engaged in politics. I do my duty as a citizen of this grand nation by voting in elections and in issues very near to my heart and home (e.g., school referendums) I will gladly yell from the rooftops the importance of voting one way over the other. For the most part, though, I sit quietly as others debate one side versus the other. Part of it lies in the fact that I don't feel well versed about the facts to articulately or accurately argue one side. The other is because confrontation makes me very uncomfortable.

That being said, let me dive right into a topic that has been hotly debated recently: health care reform.

With the recent mailing of the 2010 census - including accompanying television and radio advertisements and the ridiculous census warning letter sent about two weeks before the actual census - I can't help but wonder. If the government took all of the money spent on those census related expenses (minus the cost of the actual census & associated mailing costs) reminding people of the importance of mailing back their census, how many citizens of the United States could have received the necessary health care they otherwise can't afford?

4 comments:

Munchkin said...

Quadruple "like"

Anonymous said...

It's a drop in the bucket. At least with the Census the gov't tries to allocate funds (whatever meager funds they may be) according to demographics.

The Page Turner said...

I heard that if people do not complete their census form the government will spend $700,000 sending people door to door to get the Census answered. Mind blowing.

em said...

Don't get me started.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails