Thursday, February 18, 2010

You Never Stood A Chance Against June

Dear February,

I know this is an unconventional method of communication with a totally inanimate entity, but you and I need to have a talk. I’ve tried to deny it for years, pushing my thoughts and feelings down deep in an attempt at hard denial, but it’s time we both face the facts.

February, you’re bringing me down man.

It’s not entirely your fault. You didn’t ask to be placed in the depths of winter when gloomy skies and frigid temperatures far outweigh any hope for consecutive days with sunshine. You can not help it that you happen to be identified as one of the most hectic and stressful times of the school year which does nothing but cause me headache, stress, lost sleep, and plenty of negative self-reflection (picture a whole lot of “What is my purpose? What I am doing to help these kids? Why, God, WHY?!?”). On top of that, there’s also not much you can do about the fact that you were the host month of family illness in our home. I realize you have no control over any of these things. Still, all these factors combined make it nearly impossible to like you.

I try to focus on your redeeming qualities. Many of my favorite people celebrate birthdays in your 28 day span and for that I’m grateful, and a flip of the calendar to you means dressing up in themed attire and we both know how much I appreciate that. Of course you’re lovely with your day dedicated to the celebration of love smack dab in the middle of the month as well. Despite that, though, I think all that is nearly negated when you consider your other holidays are dedicated to the celebration of two dead politicians and an oversized rodent.

I don’t really know what I want from you, February. Maybe you could you throw a girl a bone and bust out a random 60 degree day, preferably on a Saturday or Sunday? It would do wonders for the cabin fever that’s gripped homes across the region. Really, though, I think it’s come to a point where we’re just going to have to agree to disagree, try to be civil to one another, and just manage to co-exist. All I have to say is that it’s a good thing you’re the shortest month of the year. Two or three more days of you, February, might just send me over the edge into a deep, dark, ugly place and no one wants to see that.

Most sincerely,
The Mrs.

PS - The sunshine today, while greatly appreciated, is what I like to refer to as a day late & a dollar short. Props to you for attempting to win me over though.

5 comments:

Grammy said...

You are preaching to the choir! I think the down that follows after the dance make the last couple weeks even worse.

Tina said...

I could not agree more....I was thinking of blogging about the very same thing!

Anonymous said...

Count me in too. Hang in there Mrs. Love You, Gramma/Mom Poke

The Sancken's said...

I agree! Bring on that Spring weather and SUNSHINE!!

Tru Stories said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto...I am this close to thinking about getting on meds. This morning, I heard a bird chirping and nearly threw myself out the window to hug it. I need Spring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails