Friday, February 5, 2010

Unsolicited Movie Review: Things I Watch When The General Is Otherwise Occupied


Year Released: 2004
Genre: Romance, Drama
Cast: Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, James Garner, Gena Rowlands

The Mrs.' Commentary: I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks several years ago. It was Valentine's Day eve, and I was not scheduled to see my valentine due to his work schedule. I decided to torture myself with what I would describe as one of the most tragically romantic love stories of my time. I read the book in one evening, bawled for a good hour upon finishing it, and went to bed with puffy eyes and a heavy heart due to missing my one true love. The next afternoon, while sitting on my bed (most likely studying), I suddenly heard a familiar honk from our parking lot. I turned to look out my bedroom window and there stood The General who had drove 75 miles to surprise me on Valentine' Day. He was carrying flowers. To say I was a bit emotional over this sweet gesture after the previous night's reading is a slight understatement.

So, having read the book, I knew what I was getting myself into. I was fully prepared for the ugly cry yet still the final scenes of this movie were like a punch to the stomach. I kept saying, "This is so depressing" but it was The General (who claimed he wasn't watching from his seat at the computer but so totally was) who reminded me that is was actually a beautiful ending. When I asked him if our love is strong enough to take us away together his reply was, "Well yeah, I thought this story was about us". I'm sure he was being sarcastic or at the very least just trying to put an end to the waterworks. It worked but still I had to watch an episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians just before bedtime to negate the emotional roller coaster that was the love story of Noah and Allie.



Year Released: 2009
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Cast: Ginnifer Goodwin, Kevin Connolly, Scarlett Johansson, Bradley Cooper, Justin Long, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Connelly, Drew Barrymore

The Mrs.' Commentary: This film proved to me that a star packed film does not necessarily translate to quality entertainment which in turn gives me little hope for Valetine's Day. I slept through the middle portion of this two hour film and upon waking up for the last half hour was convinced that I really didn't miss much. Those two hours would have been much better spent curled with with a good book.

1 comment:

Meghann said...

The Notebook killed me, and I'll let you (and I guess the whole world who read your comments section) in on a secret. I am just like Allie. I had to choose between two men. I have a "Noah" out there, although it seems my life is going to end up along the story of Allie's mother.

So there you go. Why I let this secret out, I don't know, but there it is.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails