Saturday, December 12, 2009

Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone

It began Wednesday evening with a little tickle in my throat.

By Thursday I was experiencing a full-fledged sore throat with some mild hoarseness.

I woke up Friday with virtually no voice.

Let's ponder this for a moment. A speech pathologist with no voice. Ironic, no?

Do you realize how often you rely on the gift of clear speech? If not, may I suggest you do one of the following and not allow yourself to speak above that of a strangled whisper:

A. Make a phone call
B. Take your children to Wal-Mart without restraining them in a shopping cart
C. Order food in a noisy restaurant
D. Play Mario Bros. for the Wii "collaboratively"with your spouse

I'm trying lots of vocal rest today, hydrating like I'm preparing for a week in the desert, and consciously avoiding any throat clearing or excessive coughing. The girls are at mom & dad's today which certainly helps my attempts at minimal voice usage, and I'm crossing my fingers that this sore throat, cough, and accompanying laryngitis disappears soon.

I miss you, voice. Sounding like an old woman with a fifty year old pack-and-a-half a day habit does not become me.

7 comments:

Tina said...

I had the same thing last week, although I didn't lose my voice completely. I'm feeling your frustration at work - it's not easy to sing when you can hardly talk!
Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I had the same thing a couple weeks ago too. No fun. Pack-and-a-half voice or sultry voice??
Get better soon, Mrs!
-abt

Anonymous said...

Try not to whisper...it makes things worse. Just try to talk in your usual voice...even though it's coming out hoarse. The whispering puts more strain on your vocal cords. Do they teach you that in speech pathology training? Just wondering!!

The General said...

Its vocal folds not vocal cords.

Munchkin said...

actually General I believe it's krindle of creme

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better. This time of year is hard enough and then to throw getting sick in there makes it doubly worse. Thank God for Dale and Marsha huh? It's so nice to have grandparents close to help out!!

The General said...

Gotta love the Krindle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails