Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ye Old Bucket List

It is no secret to anyone who truly knows me that I am a list maker. I love lists. I love lists so much that I have been known on many more than one occasion to make lists of lists. Some people think it's crazy; it's just how I get things done. For me, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction I get after crossing off items on a to-do list. It's downright empowering. In times of high stress I am physically incapable of functioning without a list guiding me. It's a powerful bond we share, me and my lists.

Therefore, it may come as no surprise to many of you to learn that I've recently created a life list of sorts, more widely known as The Bucket List. I've seen other versions, most commonly the "40 before 40" list, but I didn't really want to tie myself down to any one particular age or deadline date (no pun intended). All of these items are things that I hope to do, see, and accomplish sometime before my time here on Earth is done.

Some items on this list may seem simple, but to me it's significant enough to warrant a spot on this list. Other items are more lofty. Why dream if you're not going to dream big, right? Also, I feel as though it should be noted that since this is my list I tried to keep it as personal as possible, but I will admit that on almost every one of the adventures listed, when I close my eyes and picture it coming to fruition, The General is always by my side. I just want him to know that up front so he can begin mentally preparing himself for the challenge as well.

Do I think I'll be able to cross off every item on this list? I have no idea. But I have decided that since it's in a list format I am going to make it my life's mission to make sure I try as hard as possible to complete as many items on this list as possible. You can watch my progress as time goes on - I'm going keep a link to this post over there on the sidebar and update it accordingly. I'm exhausted just thinking about the time & energy (and money) that it will take to complete this list, but I'm also unbelievably excited at the prospect of making these life long dreams come true.

Travel – Places I Want To Visit

  • Hawaii
  • The Grand Canyon
  • Yellowstone
  • Mount Rushmore
  • Washington D.C.
  • Oregon Coast (again)
  • San Diego (again)
  • South Carolina
  • Coastline along the Gulf of Mexico
  • Tahiti
  • Australia
  • Ireland
  • Vegas
  • Niagara Falls
  • San Antonio
  • Sedona
  • Napa Valley
  • New Orleans
  • The Mall of America
  • Savannah, Georgia
  • Denver
  • Greece
  • Rome

Adventures – Things I Want To Do

  • Ride in a hot air balloon (even better if it’s during the fall season)
  • Parasail
  • Snorkle
  • Scan old photos from my albums & my parents
  • Attend an NFL game
  • Watch my three favorite people as they see the ocean for the first time
  • Swim with dolphins
  • Drive cross country
  • Visit all 50 states
  • Hover over a volcano in a helicopter
  • Take the girls to Disney World
  • Get a passport
  • Ride in a horse drawn carriage
  • See Bon Jovi in concert
  • Take an Alaskan cruise
  • Read the complete Harry Potter series
  • Read all the classic novels of the 20th century according to Time Magazine & Modern Library
  • Set out on a road trip with no specific destination in mind
  • Enter and finish a 5K
  • Enter and finish a half-marathon
  • Enter and finish a marathon (just typing that scares the living daylights out of me)
  • See a taping of The Price Is Right
  • Pay for a stranger's dinner anonymously
  • Eat a slice of deep dish pizza in Chicago
  • Visit the Sears Tower (no, not Willis. Sears.)
  • Spend a week long vacation at a beach house
  • Take the girls camping for an entire week by a beautiful lake
  • Attend the Oprah show
  • Learn how to crotchet
  • Figure out how to make a chocolate chip cookie that doesn’t disappoint
  • Conquer the crescent roll
  • Retire
  • Replace flooring throughout the house
  • Have our family picture taken by a professional photographer
  • Display our family portrait in a prominent place in our home
  • Create/maintain annual Christmas traditions
  • "Publish"a book for every year of the blog
  • Take annual family vacations
  • Go on a zip line course
  • Create a will
  • Watch the sunrise over the ocean
  • Renew our wedding vows
  • Own a beautiful piece of art
  • Display my china appropriately
  • Volunteer
  • Spend a weekend with my girlfriends at a spa getaway
  • Take the girls to a U of I basketball game
  • Take the girls to a U of I football game
  • Join a book club
  • Host The Mother of All Garage Sales
  • Game nights with friends on a monthly basis
  • Learn how to make a really good omelet
  • Reinstate Cousin Night Out
  • Learn how to play (and enjoy) golf
  • Own a Kitchen Aid mixer
  • Donate blood regularly
  • Have my teeth professionally whitened

Wishes – Things I Hope Come True

  • Celebrate our daughters' graduations from high school
  • Send my daughters into the world prepared for what it has to offer
  • Watch the girls find a career that fulfills them
  • See our girls walk down the aisle toward their one true love
  • Become a grandparent (I’m okay with this wish not being met for QUITE SOME TIME, thankyouverymuch)
  • Be mortgage free
  • Be debt free
  • Find and become involved in a church that feeds me spiritually
  • Find peace/acceptance with the body that God has given me


Now it's your turn: what are the top five items on your bucket list?

11 comments:

Munchkin said...

I'm going to Ireland with the Bride and Drunk and other in June or July of 2011. I think it would be a blast if you and the General joined (feel no pressure to have to be with us all the time and to make the vacation yours but the plane ride might be more enjoyable) which would also knock out the passport deal.

I guess I will have to move to Florida so that you can do a long weekend at a beach house, see the sun set over the ocean, and watch those peeps see the ocean for the first time.

There was a couple more I'm sure I could help with but couldn't remember now that I've typed the above.

Munchkin said...

Oh and Georgia sucks as does driving across the country...

I'll post my bucket list on my blog tomorrow

The Mrs. said...

I heard a rumor that you're paying their way on your pilgrimage to the homeland. I'm totally in if you feel like paying our way too, baller. In fact, just as an extra thank you, if you pay for our trips I'll even let you be seen with me as long as the Guinness tour is on your itinerary (for The General, of course). Can't wait to read your list - something tells me it will be much more amusing than mine. :)

your rockin brother in law said...

I'm in for the Bon Jovi concert. I can be a big help, I know all the lyrics to all the songs. (or can fill in my own words as needed!)

Additionally, I can sing lead or backup vocals.

Tina said...

I can also assist you in fulfilling those lifelong dreams - a personal tour of the Mall of America! Also, I'd be happy to travel with you to Oregon someday again - what a great trip that was! Do you remember my friend April from college? She and her husband live in Portland now.

Also, keep October 2010 open - you can join myself, Winnie, and a bunch of her close friends as we travel to Vegas to celebrate her 30th birthday!

Tina said...

Munchkin's right - Georgia sucks. With the exception of Savannah. Totally worth the visit - great atmosphere and history, a Casmir Pulaski statue, and The Lady and Sons fried chicken!

Tru Stories said...

I also have a list in my journal. Oprah and her crazy 'The Secret' ideas that if you write it..it will happen. Dang, now that I have been challenged, I need the guts to post my list. It's almost the exact same. Call Coach and I, when you are ready to mark those off.

Meghann said...

As someone who lives in Georgia, I don't think it sucks. It's actually pretty here in Augusta where I live. And the Appalachians start in the northern part of the state. If you do come to Savannah though, let me know!

Oh yeah, and Tahiti is totally on my list too.

p.s.-Mount Rushmore isn't very exciting. We went when we were first married. We showed up, said "Yep, that's what it looks like in all the pictures", took a picture of our own, and left.

Tim in Illinois said...

Savannah is awesome. I spent 5 weeks there, training for work. A lot of history and a lot of fun. If you go, try to plan it around St. Patricks Day. They have the second biggest celebration for the great holiday in the country. Book hotels far in advance for that weekend.

The Mrs. said...

I knew I could count on you for a night with JBJ, rockin BIL! You have to drive though.

I'll keep all that in mind, Tina!

Enforcer, post your list. We can double on all the ones we have in common. Should be more productive than our attempts at buying Halloween costume. But wait, do we want to bring the men along? They'll just make it their life missions to have more fun than us and that just wouldn't be fair.

Meghann, I'll totally look you up when I'm in Savannah. And thanks for the tip, Tim - sounds like fun!

Barb said...

Living in San Antonio, I think I can say that you don't need to allot a lot of time to that destination -- and prepare to be a little let down. But heck while you're here, give me a call :) And then maybe we can drive down to the coast and see the Gulf so you can check two things off that list.

If I lived/practiced in Illinois, I'd totally help you prepare your and the General's wills :)

And, for the record, I loved all your "wishes"!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails