Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dream A Little Dream With Me

The General and I have this little game we like to play called, "What Would We Do If We Won The Lottery?". This game is only fun if we're talking Big Game winnings, and it always ends in The General reminding me that this dream will never come true if I don't start buying lottery tickets. I'm just counting on him winning it for the both of us.

Anyway, after paying off all debt, the biggest item on our list is building a house. The location of this dream house is still being debated, although we both agree that whatever town limits it lies within it needs to be located in a rural spot preferably surrounded by trees. It's a bonus if it is within close proximity to a lake or large pond. We've actually toured a model home (twice) that is very, very close to our vision of our dream house. Not too big, plenty of room to grow, elegant without being over the top. It has been agreed that I am allowed almost free reign with the entire house itself as long as I leave the basement design to The General. He has big dreams for his man cave and any input I try to provide for that particular area of the house is met with great distaste.

If this dream were ever to come to fruition, I have a specific list of must-haves for this home. They include:
  • Two stories
  • Walk-out basement
  • Four large bedrooms
  • Three bathrooms
  • Living Room
  • Family Room (maybe as a bonus room above the garage)
  • Dining Room
  • Large kitchen with plenty of counter and cabinet space
  • A center island in the kitchen
  • Breakfast nook
  • A separate office space with built-in bookshelves
  • Lots of storage, including large closets in each bedroom
  • A window over the kitchen sink looking out to the backyard
  • A tray ceiling in the master bedroom
  • Sitting area in the master bedroom
  • His and Her sinks in the master bath
  • A Jack-and-Jill bathroom between the girls' bedrooms (a la the Brady Bunch)
  • A linen closet in each bathroom
  • Crown molding in the dining room
  • A window seat somewhere in the house
  • Separate area for laundry off the garage with a counter for folding clothes, closet space, and a utility sink (maybe with another half bath?)
  • Large windows so the house is always bright and airy
  • Fireplace
  • At least one of the bedrooms and bathrooms on the ground floor
  • A pool & hot tub (shut it, General, it's totally happening)
  • beautiful backyard grilling area (like an outdoor kitchen although not too fancy)
I know I'm forgetting some things, but these are at the top of the list for me. I won't even begin to go into The General's vision for his basement and gigantic Morton shed (with underground tunnel connecting the two for security reasons), but trust me when I tell you his ideas are even more planned out than mine. I've seen the napkins containing the preliminary blueprints.

So tell me, readers. What's on your list of dream home must haves?

5 comments:

Munchkin said...

while specifications have not been totally laid out, it will be completely over the top

The General said...

Well my under ground pathway from the house to the car house (shed) is now out obviously out since the whole world now knows about it.

The MC said...

I need a pool and hot tub, big kitchen with an island, 3 car garage.

tlk said...

I'm just happy with indoor plumbing. You all sound a little too high falootin for this small town boy.

Parker said...

General...While OCH does have quite a following...I think it is safe to assume that "the whole world" doesn't know about your secret passage. Maybe you could just have a "secret door" that we don't know about? But, chances are, you would show it to everyone anyway because it would be "so cool!".

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails