Thursday, August 20, 2009

Welcome To Kindergarten

She finished her breakfast in a timely fashion, survived leaving the house without watching "her shows", and we arrived to school on time. All three were small victories in my book.

We took the obligatory first day of school picture in front of the house because I knew Gramma Poke would be disappointed in me if we didn't. Shortcake and Punkin spontaneously embraced for one priceless picture and I just about lost it.

She smiled and said good morning to everyone who made eye contact with her. I don't think I've ever seen her more excited.

I fought back tears the entire drive and came dangerously close to losing it as we walked hand-in-hand toward the front door. My friend Jill saved me from certain tears with a big wave from across the parking lot. Her enthusiasm for Shortcake starting school reminded me how awesome this is going to be for my little girl.

She dashed toward the door; I pulled her back and made her give me a hug. I put a picture of the four of us in her backpack in case she started to miss home. I'm fairly certain she didn't need it.

The bus delivered her to the babysitter just after 3 pm as promised. Reports were that she stepped off the bus with a big smile on her face.

P.E. was the highlight of her day. She says she can't wait to "learn new stuff tomorrow" with Mr. Painter.

She got to give the first answer at circle time (the question: how did you get to school?), sang songs in music, and played with her friend Annabelle at recess.

She met a new friend named Chloe.

She didn't have time to finish her lunch (no surprise to her mother), but she did make sure to eat all of her sandwich. She asked if I would save the uneaten chocolate chip cookie for next time.

My favorite quote about the school day in review: "I had fun, but it was a really long day. I hope tomorrow's not going to be that long". I didn't have the heart to tell she's got thirteen years worth of days like today. I'll let her figure that out on her own.

She's ready to go back tomorrow and this time she's going to get lunch on a tray. The graham crackers sold her.

My heart is finally at ease knowing - and truly believing - that she's going to be just fine.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I am right there with you when you say that you are at ease and that she will be just fine! I was so excited on my way home from work today to hear all about Anabelle's first day! She told me that she played with Shortcake at recess today. She said that Shortcakes's friend wouldn't play with Shortcake. :( Our girls are growing up just way too fast!! At least we still have the little ones to baby. Hopefully Belle and Shortcake will have lots more opportunities to play together!

Mitch said...

Love the picture in the backpack - I said to Tina, "OMG! The Mrs. is the mom from that Wal-Mart commercial!" You know, the one where she drops the kid off at college and gives him a framed photo of the two of them.

The Mrs. said...

I left her a note written on a picture of the two of us in her lunchbox too. My friend Lori always had a note (usually an awesome poem) written by her mom every day in her lunch and I thought that was so awesome. I'm a cheeseball, I know.

Anonymous said...

I am tearing up as I read all of this. I guess it's just letting go...and being so proud of my "Baby"! You are an awesome Mommy! I am glad everything went well with Shortcake,she will love school. Gramma Poke

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails