Sunday, August 16, 2009

Seventy-Four Days Isn't Nearly Long Enough

My summer vacation ends today, and I'm not at all happy about it. Tomorrow I go back to work and Thursday marks Shortcake's first official day of school. I think this summer has without a doubt been my favorite since the girls were born. They're both at an age where they're old enough to enjoy day trips (which I took full advantage of) without cumbersome strollers or diaper bags and without too many emotional meltdowns. We did so many fun things, and this is the first summer is a couple years' time when I haven't had any "This is why I work outside of the home" moments. I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm going to miss being home with my girls.

I'm sure there are countless memories that I'm probably leaving off this list, but I compiled a quick rundown of some of my favorite moments from my temporary gig as a stay-at-home mom during the past 74 days.

My Favorite Things – Summer 2009 Edition

  • Eating BLTs on the back porch as the sun is starting to set
  • Being able to clean in the house during the day
  • Watching Shortcake & my dad pick vegetables out of their garden
  • The girls on the new disc swing at mom & dad’s (and Shortcake’s giggle while she’s on it)
  • Laying the raft at Keith & Mary’s pool
  • Day trip adventures (zoo, train, Kiddieland, Brookfield, dairy farm)
  • New appliances
  • Punkin and her goggles, especially when she wore them while eating dinner
  • Month long vacations for The General
  • Watching Shortcake & Punkin “bowling”
  • Quiet car rides with just The General & me
  • Floating on the lake
  • Laughing so much my sides ache for two days
  • Shortcake’s attempt to find something other than a green P.E. shirt
  • Proposals by the campfire
  • Those first hugs from the girls after a weekend away
  • Laying in on the driveway, watching for meteors
  • The reactions of Shortcake & Punkin during their first 3-D movie experience
  • Reading for enjoyment every single day
  • Late night summer thunderstorms
  • Splash park adventures with friends & family
  • Impromptu fireworks viewing while sitting in Rocket along the side of the road
  • The contagious excitement of our girls at the carnival
  • The look on Punkin’s face just before she jumps into the pool
  • Picnic lunches
  • Sleeping in
  • New windows & updated dining room
  • Shortcake’s infectious giggling

It's tough going back to work after having so much fun, but believe me when I tell you that I realize how lucky I am to have such an awesome schedule that allows me this much time at home with them during the summer months.

Let the countdown to Summer '10 begin!

3 comments:

The MC said...

I'm so sad it's over. :(

Tina said...

The perks to being in education....have a great first week back!

Anonymous said...

It just doesn't seem right to go back to school b/4 Labor Day...they should make a law vs. that!!!
Hope Shortcake has a wonderful time in kindergarten.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails