Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It Used To Be Only Disney Movies That Made Me Do The Ugly Cry

Five years ago, when I was pregnant with Shortcake, I saw a lot of this commercial especially during my daily afternoon viewings of TLC's A Baby Story. I cried every single time it came on TV.




Tonight, while cooking dinner, I started bawling into my BBQ when Hallmark's commercial featuring a mom and her pre-teen daughter came on the screen. It shows the girl being nervous about her first day of school yet finding comfort after boarding the school bus and finding a card hidden in the pocket of her backpack. John Mayer's song "Say" is the soundtrack, a song I've listened to Shortcake sing from my backseat all summer long.

Later, while we were eating and discussing lunch menus at school, I looked at Shortcake and though, "My God, she looks so grown up". I had to walk away from the table because I didn't want to explain to the girls why I had tears in my eyes. Can you tell that I am not handling this whole kindergarten thing all that well (although I did make it through registration today without any tears)? I'm expecting complete emotional meltdown in two weeks and something tells me the only one without tears in their eyes come August 20th will be the kindergartner herself.

Jen, you'll be at the elementary school that day won't you? Please tell me you will, and you better bring some chocolate.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG - Matt and I just watched the baby video and seriously were just laughing thinking about you pregnant and sobbing.

I imagine Krissy is doing that right now. :)

-Katie

The Mrs. said...

This coming from the couple that airs a segment on morning television wishing their cat a happy birthday. :)

Anonymous said...

Katie...did you mean that Tina might be doing that right now???
OOPS!!

Tina said...

I'm proud to announce that I did NOT cry at that commercial....but can imagine how difficult it will be to let little Shortcake go to kindergarten....Mrs., you might need something stronger than chocolate for that first day!

Anonymous said...

I remember the first day the Mrs.went into Ms Mitchell's class. There we are in our cute red dress, hair just right and the only one who really had a true smile was the Mrs. Gramma Poke was smiling but it was hard. And I was probably the last to leave! I"m pretty sure I came home with tears...BUT the Mrs. loved school and I know shortcake will too. Hang in there, and call me a couple of days later otherwise Gramma Poke might cry too! Love and Hugs, Gramma Poke

tlk said...

I see you as one of those lame moms that will do something super sweet like pay $4.99 for a card to hide in a backpack. I'm planning on walking Benny to the gate in the back yard and pointing him across the baseball field to the front door of the school. We'll see if my mrs. agrees with that tactic. She probably thinks someone should walk him inside and make sure he gets to the right classroom.

jen said...

I'll be there for sure. I was thinking of Shortcake today as I was getting some things ready in my room at her new building.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails