Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Coming Straight Out Of A Movie Screen Near You

I decided late last night, thinking the forecast was calling for rain showers today, that the girls and I would visit our local movie theater for a matinee viewing of Disney/Pixar's Up. The first afternoon showing was at 12:15 which I thought would be a prime time for Punkin in order to avoid a case of the Nap Time Outbursts we sometimes encounter when away from the house during the day. This was her first cinematic experience on the big screen so I was aiming to keep all extraneous factors as favorable as possible to ensure we had a good time. For once my planning was spot on. (The large bag of popcorn and small Sierra Mist may have helped in the day's success but whatever. We all know I'm not above bribery.)


Although Shortcake had seen a movie in the theater before (or "thee-ater-her" as Shortcake called it most of the day), this was the first time any of us had seen a movie in 3-D. Shortcake's initial reaction was to giggle and exclaim, "It looks like I can touch them!" while Punkin, who was at first reluctant to wear the glasses proclaimed, "Whoa! That's surprised me. Are they going to get me?" once she finally decided to try the 3-D experience.

I have to say, viewing in the third dimension certainly added to the experience, and the movie was awesome despite the fact that I was in tears within the first fifteen minutes of the movie. It's not unusual for me to cry during a Disney feature, in fact it's more a rule, but at the beginning of the film? That's uncharted territory. Hats off to Disney/Pixar for another great flick (although slightly violent at times causing Punkin to cower in fear) and for providing me with yet another great summer memory with my two favorite girls.

I'm going to miss days like this come mid-August.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did UP over the 4th of July weekend too!! Bubba loved it, but Monkey didn't keep the glasses on long. I cried multiple times throughout...reminded me lots of Dad's parents...

Munchkin said...

that movie was horribly depressing, I did not enjoy it but maybe it's b/c i saw the 2D version...

although I would like one of those collars for Prada...

SQUIRREL

Tina said...

I haven't seen Up, but Lil' Missy and I are seeing Ice Age 3 in 3-D tomorrow.

And I cried at the beginning of Nemo - so sad when he is captured! I also watched Bolt today with Lil' Missy, which I hadn't seen.....there was LOTS of crying for me at the end.

Swanny said...

UP was the best movie I've seen in a long time. Great visuals (which is expected from Pixar), but who could foresee the heart-wrenching storytelling? I -SQUIRREL!!! I saw it twice and broke down in the same three spots each time.

The only reader who hasn't seen UP yet.... said...

SPOILERS!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails