Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Filling A Void I Didn't Even Know Was There

Last night at 11 pm I was lying in bed in a panic, having just been told by The General that Shortcake was to dress as a farmer for her last day of playschool on Thursday. "How in the world am I going to pull together an outfit reminiscent of a farmer in one day?," I fretted quietly. I fell asleep brainstorming where I could borrow the necessary attire on such short notice.

In the light of the morning, I had a revelation. I do all my best thinking while I'm blow drying my hair and today was no exception. "I wonder if Big R might have something I could use," I silently wondered. I made a mental plan to head that way this afternoon following school.

People, why has no one sat me down and explained to me the wonderfulness that is Big R? I feel so cheated. "Where have you been all my life?," I felt like shouting as we walked down aisle after aisle. I didn't know I could fall so easily for a store that sells Carhartt products, "As seen on TV" merchandise, livestock feed, and tires but I can. And I do. I am in love.

Literally within five feet of the door I spotted each part of the perfect outfit for "Dress Like a Farmer Day" (aside: no farmer I know dresses like this, but those farmers are also not girls). Seriously, I can hardly stand the cuteness.


Seed hats courtesy of Great Grapa Poke


Shortcake kept her hands in her pockets the entire time she was wearing her bibs, even when she tried to stand up after sitting on the grass. Hilarious.


This is a "pretend to be a farmer" dress rehearsal, Punkin, not an audition for America's Next Top Model. But yes, you do look FIERCE.


It's hard to see, but Punkin's got her finger up her nose in this picture. Maybe she's harvesting boogers this year?


They kill me with their adorableness.

Full body shot to show you their kickin' new boots. Rain boots, yes, but Shortcake's boots have horses on them so that counts for something, right?

The pièce de résistance. JOHN DEERE SOCKS. This is what officially made Big R my new favorite store.

A special note to The General: Please refer to these pictures tomorrow morning when it's time to get them dressed for school. Seed hat, white tee, bibs, bandana, boots, and braids for Shortcake. Don't even try to hide the socks; I made every attempt to be equal opportunity with International Harvester attire but could find none. And yes, I realize Punkin does not attend playschool but her first words to me this morning when I asked Shortcake about her dress up day was, "I gonna be a famuh, too!". Also, please try to convince her that is cowboys and not farmers that wave their hat in the air while yelling, "YEE-HAW!". She's not hearing any of that from me.

7 comments:

Barb said...

Awesomely CUTE! I love it. And yes, my grandpa (a farmer) does dress like that ... just don't tell him I said so :)

The General said...

Outside of Dad and my uncles, all the farmers I know wear Titleist shirts and shorts since they are at the golf course.

Anonymous said...

OMG Mrs. this is awesome!! Now, we have a Big R less than 3 minutes from our house, and we also get lots of fun things there. Big Don recently acquired a pair of overalls--he loves them---mostly, I think, because everything is "so free in there!" Priceless
JD in GC

Tina said...

What a riot! Mitch visited Big R with my dad last Thanksgiving and bought Katie and Boston's dog a ton of animal parts to gnaw on - no pigs ears that day (there must have been a run on them), but definitely bought a pig femur and a snout. Gross!

parker said...

They look adorable! As of late, most the farmers I have seen have completed the outfit with a beer in hand, and a look of frustration on thier faces! Oh, and pliers...can't forget the pliers!

Anonymous said...

G Grampa Bolen would be SOOOOOOOOOOO proud....As you remember Bibs were his favorite....Big pockets to sock candy in them. Oh, don't forget the pocket watch he tucked in the front of them! Gramma Poke

AuntieM said...

they are so adorable!!!!!
and i am wearing the same outfit now as i'm going out to the fields...tho, i do not look quite as adorable!
and no beer (not on a tractor) just a mug of coffee.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails